Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an alternative to root canal treatment?
Ff the issue related to teeth involves pulp of the teeth eg: deep cavities, fracture etc, then rootcanal treatment is the only option to save the teeth which otherwise can be solved only by extraction/removal of teeth.
How long will the dentist take to perform the root canal procedure?
Most rootcanal treatments are done in single sitting which take approximately 1 hour.
How do I avoid a root canal?
- maintaining oral hygiene by brushing and flossing the teeth.
- Avoiding junk, sweet and hard food stuff.
- Wearing mouthguard while playing sports to avoid trauma to the teeth.
- Also an early intervention usually saves the teeth from an upcoming or increasing issue of cavities. In such case a simple dental filling can stop the cavities from spreading further thereby avoiding the need of rootcanal in future
How painful is a root canal?
this treatment is done under local anaesthesia, thus it is a completely painless procedure. However post rootcanal treatment gives mild discomfort or pain might be experienced for few days, which is usually taken care by mild painkillers.
What are the steps for root canal treatment?
- Thorough checkup and xrays of the tooth before starting.
- local anaesthesia is administered to ensure complete numbness of tooth.
- Complete cavity removal of teeth.
- Cleaning of nerves and canal of teeth (biomechanical preparation).
- Filling the nerve canal (obturation).
- Corebuild up of the teeth.
- Postoperative antibiotics and painkillers.
- Adding the crown/cap to the teeth
How long does it take to recover from root canal treatment?
Rootcanal treatment does not require any postoperative rest or care for recovery. However even a successful rootcanal may give mild pain or discomfort for few days which require mild painkillers. Patient can resume their work almost immediately post treatment
What are the side effects of root canal treatment?
Occasionally mild to moderate pain lasting few days. In Some cases patient might experience slight swelling or discomfort post treatment